The Loss of a loved one:(

There was this faint crying sound which I vividly remember.Had a peep through the window.It was a small puppy,brownish in color,standing near the gate sniffing the ground.Where did it come from?May be it got lost or the Mother had gone away leaving it to look after itself or someone who did not want it got it here and left. So small,good-looking,bright .Just not like any other dog who roamed the streets in the neighbourhood..A stray dog-unloved,un-cared for,hungry,cold,lonely and chased by everyone.
My heart melted at once for the thought of this puppy growing into a stray dog.I went back home,brought some milk and through the grill of the gate offered it by placing a small bowl.The puppy moved back,trembling in fear,its stringy tail struck behind its twiggy hind legs.The eyes rolled,showing whites-indicating fears.I moved back.Now it stopped moving and eyed suspiciously.Small encouraging sounds were made by clicking the tongue.Now the tail came out and it wagged it once or twice hesitantly.Its nose twitched up at the smell of the milk and the small brown eyes brightened up.Now I held my hand forward,holding a small piece of bread this time ,so as not to frighten it again,held it up.The puppy moved forward and took the bread,moving its head back chewed it hurriedly and swallowed it,its throat working up and down convulsively.Then another piece,then another until two full slices were over.It stopped eating and looked with what resembled like a grin,the tail wagging fast!It was Mongrel and we named it Tommy.
I was elated at once and patted the puppy’s head.The puppy jumped,licked the hand and now we w ere friends.Whatever I spoke,it kept wagging its tail asthough it has understood everything.
Someone slowly made it stay at a corner at home because my Dad was very apprehensive to keep it with us.Luckily could move him and was convinced a bit.It was so innocent and unaware of everything.I again went near the puppy with a bowl of milk. ”Puppy is after me”,I thought ,as it lapped hurriedly.As it drank the bowl scrapped on the floor,moving further and further with every lick,with the puppy pursuing it relentlessly.Finally the bowl was cleaned as though it was washed.
It barked happily basking in joy engulfying my inner nerves.It was a state of ecstasy.The puppy followed almost till the road end,tripping joyfully along, as though I were the owner while I was going to school.I was asked if it was my puppy,I proudly said Yes.Slowly got very attached to it and my day never ended without spending sometime talking to it and playing.My best pal at home.Had greatest and finest moments with it.It had been 6 years now.Fully grown yet shy and so fearful by nature it was,but projected as though it was really majestic to all new people who came home.Curd rice was staple food for it and always ensured that I leave a bowl of rice for giving it.
The very thought that its health was deteriorating went without my notice as I was involved in my cousin’s marriage.It died in my absence when I was away makes me feel bad.So lovely,caring doggie it was.Won the hearts of everyone in 6 long years.For 2 long days I was missing and longed to see.But the moment I went home I was told it died somewhere on the road.”Miss U Doggie” .My Mom,Dad and me love you so much.I wish I had seen you for the last time.I don’t know if I can shower the same amount of love on any other dog,may be I cannot for the fear of losing.It had left an indelible impression in me and luckily have its snap taken sometime back.It’s mild barking sound still reverberates in my ears and its innocent looks still clear in my mind.My eyes have almost been moist now and this post is to render my thanks for, it took care of my Mom and home when noone was there at home.Everytime when I look at the bowl it reminds me of it.
It’s indeed difficult to sense the pain of someone whom whom u love very much.

Comments

Labakku Das said…
Heyy!! Good one.. For a while i thot u lost some "loved" one ;).Hmm shows ur humane side and genuine care for our poor friends out in the streets. i have seen many friends crying day in and out and i kinda know the pain it causes when a loved one is no more... I hope ur out of that now..
Anonymous said…
its realy very sad tht ne one of our loved one passes away but ... i can realize the pain....
;(

@Rajeev
Pets live like we do. And if you've had pets, you'd know the pain.

Popular posts from this blog

Typical Tam Bram hymeneals

Karthik's, Srinivas',Swathis's,Manjunath' s and Subramanian's

The Intangible & Amazing friendship