Powered by intellect driven by values!!!Infy rocks

He was short. He was sharp. He was the brightest boy in his class. His seniors would ask him to solve their difficulties in Science. He could have go unnoticed in the crowd, but once you asked him a question relatedto Physics or Maths, there was a spark in his eyes. Hecould Grasp theories of Science faster than the speedof light. He came from a poor but educated family. Hisfather was a high-school teacher and an avid reader ofenglish literature. He, like all the boys int he classwas trying to get admission into some engineeringcollege. The brighter ones wanted to study in heIndian Institutes of Technology, or the IIT's. Therewas an entrance test for IIT.T his boy, along with hisfriends applied to appear for the test. They did nothave any special books or coaching. All these IITaspirants would sit below the shade of a stone mantapclose to chamundi hills in the sleepy town of Mysore.He was a guide for others. While the others struggled to solve problems in the question paper,he would smileshyly and solve them in no time. He sat below a treeand dreamt of studying at IIt.He ! was then onlysixteen years old. D-Day came.He came to Bangalore, stayed withsome relatives and appeared for the entrance test. Hedid very well but would only say "OK" when asked. Itwas the opposite when it came to food...."OK" impliedbad, "good" implied ok, and "very good" implied good!!His principle was never to hurt anyone.... The IIt entrance resutls came. He had passedwith flying colors and the hightest rank. He wasthrilled! He went to his father who was reading anewspaper. "ANNA,I have passed the exam" "WEll done, My Boy". "I want to join IIT". His father stopped reading the paper. He lifted hishead, Looked at the boy and said with a heavy voice"You know our financial position, and i cannot afford your expenses at IIT. You can stay in Mysore and learnas much as you want. "His father was sad that he hadto tell the bitter truth, but it could not be helped. The teenager was dissappointed. He was so nearto fulfilling his fondest dream ,yet so far.His heartsank in sorrow. He did not reply. He never shared his unhappineswith anyone. He was an introvert by nature. His heartwas bleeding but he did not get angry with anyone. The day came, his classmates were leaving formadras(today called chennai).They were leaving fromMysore to chennai. They had shared good years atschool and he went to wish them good luck for theirfuture. At the station his friends were already there.They were excited and discussing their new hostels,newcourses etc. So he stood there silently. One of hisfriends noticed and said "You should have made it" He did not reply .He just wished them. He stoodthere even after he could no longer see the train orthe waving hands. It was June 1962 in the mysore city.Yet he stood there motionless. He said to himslef ,without anger or jealously,"All students from the IIT's study well and do bigthings in life. But it is not the institution,ultimately it is you and you alone who can changeyour life by hard work". This son of a school teacher became a pioneer ofIndia's software industry.He is none other thanInfosys founder and present Chairman ,NarayanaMurthy.His motto being ,"Powered by intellect ,Drivenby Values".

This extract was quite impressive and i felt must be read by u people.let me know if u like this kinda stuff so that i can send u some moreRead on....Sudha Murthy, author and wife of Infosys Chairman Narayana Murthy, tellsthestory of how Infosys was born and how her life has changed... yetremainedvery much the same.I was in Pune that I met Narayana Murthy through my friend Prasanna, who isnow the Wipro chief, who was also training in Telco. Murthy was shy,bespectacled and an introvert. When he invited us for dinner, I was abit taken aback... I refused since I was the only girl in the group. ButMurthy was relentless and we all decided to meet for dinner the next day at7.30 pm at Green Fields Hotel on Pune's Main Road. The next day, I went there atseven since I had to go to the tailor near the hotel. And what do I see?Mr. Murthy waiting in front of the hotel and it was only seven. Till today, Murthy maintains that I had mentioned (consciously!) that I would begoingto the tailor at seven, so that I could meet him... And I maintain thatIdid not say any such thing, consciously or subconsciously, because I didnot think of Murthy as anything other than a friend at that stage. We haveagreed to disagree on this matter.Soon, we became friends. Our conversations were filled with Murthy'sexperiences abroad and the books that he had read. My friends insistedthat Murthy was trying to impress me because he was interested in me. I kept denying it till one day, after dinner, Murthy said, I want to tell yousomething. I knew this was it. It was coming. He said, I am 5'4" tall. Icome from a lower middleclass family. I can never become rich. You arebeautiful, bright, and intelligent and you can get anyone you want. Butwill you marry me? I asked him to give me some time.When I went to Hubli, I told my parents about Murthy and his proposal.My mother was positive since Murthy was also from Karnataka, seemedintelligent and came from a good family. But my father asked, "What's his job, his salary, his qualifications, etc?" Murthy was working as a researchassistantand earning less than me. He was willing to go Dutch with me on ouroutings.My parents agreed to meet him in Pune on a particular day at 10 amsharp. Murthy did not turn up. How can I trust a man to take care of mydaughter ifhe cannot keep an appointment, asked my father. At 12 noon, Murthy turned upin a bright red shirt! He had gone on work to Bombay, got stuck in a trafficjam in the ghats, so he hired a taxi (though it was very expensive for him)to meet his would-be father-in-law. Father was unimpressed.He asked Murthy what he wanted to become in life. Murthy said he wantedto become a politician in the Communist Party and wanted to open anorphanage.My father gave his verdict. No. I don't want my daughter to marrysomebodywho wants to become a communist and then open an orphanage when he himselfdoesn't have money to support his family.By this time, I realized I had developed a liking towards Murthy, whichcould only be termed as love. I wanted to marry him because he was anhonestman. I promised my father that I would not marry Murthy without hisblessings, though at the same time, I would not marry anybody else. Myfather said he would agree if Murthy promised to take up a steady job.But Murthy refused, saying he would not do things in life because somebodywanted him to. I was caught between the two most important people in mylife. The stalemate continued for three years, during which our courtship took us to every restaurant and cinema hall in Pune.Murthy was always broke. (Ironically, today, he manages InfosysTechnologiesLtd, one of the world's most reputed companies.) He always owed memoney. Weused to go for dinner and he would say, I don t have money with me, you paymy share, will return it to you later. For three years, I maintained a bookof Murthy's debts to me. No, he never returned the money and I finally toreit up after our wedding. The amount was a little over Rs.4,000. During this period, Murthy quit his job as a research assistant and started his ownsoftware business.Towards the late'70s computers were entering India in a big way. At thefagend of 1977, Murthy decided to take up a job as General Manager at PatniComputers in Bombay. But before he joined the company, he wanted tomarry mesince he was to go on training to the US after, joining. My father gaveinas he was happy Murthy had a decent job, now. We were married inMurthy'shouse in Bangalore on February 10, 1978, with only our two familiespresent.I got my first silk sari. The wedding expenses came to only Rs 800, withMurthy and I pooling in Rs 400 each.I went to the US with Murthy after marriage. He encouraged me to seeAmericaon my own, because I loved traveling. I toured America for three monthswitha backpack. In 1981,Murthy wanted to start Infosys. Initially, I wasveryapprehensive about him getting into business. We were living acomfortablelife in Bombay with a regular paycheck and I didn't want to rock theboat.But Murthy was passionate about creating good quality software. Idecided tosupport him. Typically for Murthy, he had a dream and no money. So Igavehim Rs 10,000 which I had saved for a rainy day without his knowledgeandtold him, this is all I have. Take it. I will take care of the financialneeds of our house. You go and chase your dreams. But you have onlythreeyears!Murthy and his six colleagues started Infosys in 1981. In 1982, I leftTelcoand moved to Pune with Murthy. We bought a small house on loan, whichalsobecame the Infosys office. I was a clerk-cum-cook-cum-programmer. I alsotook up a job as Senior Systems Analyst with the Walchand group ofIndustries to support the house.In'83, Infosys got their first client, MICO, in Bangalore. Murthy movedtoBangalore and stayed with his mother, while I went to Hubli to delivermysecond child, Rohan. Ten days after my son was born, Murthy left for theUSon project work. I saw him only after a year - my son had infantileeczema.It was only after Rohan received all his vaccinations that I came toBangalore where we rented a small house in Jayanagar and rented anotherhouse as Infosys headquarters. Nandan Nilekani and his wife Rohinistayedwith us. While Rohini babysat my son, I wrote programmes for Infosys. There was no car, no phone, just two kids and a bunch of us workinghard,juggling our lives and having fun while Infosys was taking shape. Thewivesof other partners too, gave their unstinting support. We all knew thatourmen were trying to build something good.Murthy made it very clear that it would either be me or him working atInfosys. Never the two of us together. He did not want a husband andwifeteam at Infosys. I was shocked since I had the relevant experience andtechnical qualifications. He said, "Sudha if you want to work withInfosys,I will withdraw happily". I was pained to know that I would not beinvolvedin the company my husband was building and that I would have to give upajob that I was qualified to do and loved doing.Then, I realized that to make Infosys a success, one had to give 100 percent. One had to be focused on it alone, with no other distractions. Ifthetwo of us had to give 100 percent to Infosys, what would happen to ourhomeand our children? I opted to be a homemaker; after all, Infosys wasMurthy'sdream. It was a big sacrifice, but it was one that had to be made. Eventoday, Murthy says, "Sudha, I stepped on your career to make mine. Youareresponsible for my success."I might have given up my career for my husband's sake, but that does notmake me a doormat. Isn't freedom about living your life the way you wantit?What is right for one person might be wrong for another. It is up to theindividual to make a choice that is effective in her life. I believethatwhen a woman gives up her right to choose for herself, that is when shecrosses over from being an individual to a doormat. Murthy's dreams encompassed not only himself, but also a generation ofpeople. It was about creating something worthy, exemplary and honorable.Itwas about creation and distribution of wealth. His dreams were granderthanmy career plans, in all aspects. So, when I had to choose betweenMurthy'scareer and mine, I opted for what I thought was the right choice. We hadahome and two little children. Somebody had to take care of it all.Somebodyhad to stay behind to create a home base that would be fertile forhealthygrowth, happiness, and more dreams to dream. I became that somebodywillingly.I can confidently say that if I had had a dream like Infosys, Murthywouldhave given me his unstinted support. The roles would have been reversed.Weare not bound by the archaic rules of marriage. He does not intrude into mytime, especially when I am writing my novels. He does not interfere inmywork at the Infosys Foundation and I don't nterfere with the running ofInfosys. I teach computer science to MBA and MCA students at ChristCollegefor a few hours every week and I earn around Rs 50,000 a year. I valuethisfinancial independence greatly, though there is no need for me to pursueacareer. Murthy respects that. I travel the world without him, because hehates traveling. We trust each other implicitly. We have anotherunderstanding too. While he earns the money, I spend it mostly throughcharity.The Infosys Foundation was born in 1997 with the sole objective ofupliftingthe less-privileged sections of society. In the past three years, wehavebuilt hospitals, orphanages, rehabilitation centers, school buildings,science centres and more than 3,500 libraries. Our work is mainly in therural areas amongst women and children. I am one of the trustees of theFoundation, and our activities span six states. I travel to around 800villages constantly. Every year, we donate around Rs 5-6 crores. We runInfosys Foundation the way Murthy runs Infosys - in a professional andscientific way. Philanthropy is a profession and an art. It can be used or misused.Everyyear, we receive more than 10,000 applications for donations. Every day,Ireceive more than 120 calls. Amongst these, there are those whogenuinelyneed help and there are hoodwinkers too. Over the years, I have learnttodifferentiate the wheat from the chaff, though I still give all thecases apatient hearing. Sometimes, I feel I have lost the ability to trustpeople.I have become shrewder to avoid being conned. I think that is the pricethatI have to pay for the position I am in now.The greatest difficulty in having money is to teach your children itsvalue.Bringing up children in a moneyed atmosphere is a difficult task. Eventoday, I think twice if I have to spend Rs 10 on an auto when I can walktomy house. I cannot expect my children to do the same. They have seenmoneyfrom the time they were born. But we can lead by example.
When they seeMurthy wash his own plate after eating and clean the two toilets in thehouse every day they realize that no work is demeaning, irrespective ofhowrich you are. This doesn't mean we expect our children to live anausterelife.My children buy what they want, go where they want, but they have tofollowcertain rules. They have to show me bills for whatever they buy: Mydaughtercan buy five new outfits, but she has to giveaway five old ones. My soncango out with his friends for lunch or dinner, but we discourage him fromgoing to a five star hotel. Or we accompany him. My children haven'tgivenme any heartbreak. My daughter is studying abroad, my son in Bangalore.Theydon't use their father's name in vain. They only say that his name isMurthyand that he works for Infosys. They don't want to be recognized andappreciated because of their father or me, but for themselves.I don't feel guilty about having money, for we have worked hard for it.ButI don't feel comfortable flaunting it. It is a conscious decision on ourpart to live a simple, so-called middle class life. We live in the sametwo-bedroom, sparsely furnished house we lived in before Infosys becameasuccess. Our only extravagance is buying books and CDs. My house has nolockers for I have no jewels. I wear a pair of stone earrings, which Ibought in Bombay for Rs 100. I don't even wear my `mangalsutra` unless Ineed to attend some family functions or when I am with my mother-in-law.Five years ago, I went to Kashi, where tradition demands that you givesomething up. I gave up shopping. Since then, I haven't t bought myselfasari or gone shopping. I don't carry a purse and neither does Murthy,mostof the time. I borrow money from my secretary or my driver if I needcash.They know my habit, so they always carry extra cash with them. But Isettlethe accounts every evening. Murthy and I are very comfortable with ourlifestyle and we don't see the need to change it now that we have money.Murthy and I are two opposites that complement each other. Murthy issensitive and romantic in his own way. He always gifts e books addressed'From Me to You. Or' To the person I most admire' etc. We both lovebooks. Iam an extrovert and he is an introvert. I love watching movies andlisteningto classical music. Murthy loves listening to English classical music. Igoout for movies with my students and secretary every other week. I amtillyoung at heart. I really enjoyed watching 'Kaho Na Pyaar Hai'; I am aHithikRoshan fan. It has been more than 20 years since Murthy and I went for amovie. My daughter once gave us a surprise by booking ticketsfor'Titanic'.Since I had a prior engagement that day, Murthy went for the movie withhissecretary Pandu. I love traveling, whereas Murthy loves spending time athome.Friends come and go with the share prices. Even in my dreams, I did notexpect Infosys to grow the way it has. After Infosys went public in1993, webecame what people would call rich, moneyed people. Suddenly, you seeandhear about so much money: People talk about you. It was all-new to me. Have I lost my identity as a woman, in Murthy's shadow? No, I might beMrs.Narayana Murthy. I might be Akshata and Rohan's mother. I might bethetrustee of Infosys Foundation. But I am still Sudha. Like all women, Iplaydifferent roles. That doesn't mean we don't have our own identity. Womenhave that extra quality of adaptability and learn to fit into differentshoes. But we are our own selves still. And we have to exact our freedombymaking the right choices in our lives, dictated by us and not by theworld.

This mail i got it from my clique and was personally acknowledged by Narayan Murthy sir

Comments

Labakku Das said…
hmm did u use ur cut-copy-paste skills or painstakingly typed it out?if it is the latter then hats off,not that i wud b rebuking u for the former coz the post was xlnt.. it is surprising that they lead such a spartan lifestlye inspite of being bigshots.. murthy's rags-2-riches story is an inspiration 2 many dear.... keep up the good work..
Dainty Damsel said…
@rajeev it is a bit of copy paste and some amt of me typing aswell .iam a gr88 Admirer of Murthy..inspite of Infosys creating waves they lead a normal life.that's really gr88

Popular posts from this blog

Typical Tam Bram hymeneals

Karthik's, Srinivas',Swathis's,Manjunath' s and Subramanian's

The Intangible & Amazing friendship